National Environmental Laboratory Accreditation Program (NELAP) Accreditation Council
The NELAP Accreditation Council consists of one individual from each recognized Accreditation Body, appointed by the Accreditation Body, and one Ex-Officio member representing EPA. The NELAP Accreditation Council has final authority for implementation of the program for the accreditation of environmental laboratories. Specifically, the NELAP Accreditation Council:
- Reviews and approves applications from prospective ABs to become NELAP-recognized.
- Periodically reviews all NELAP-recognized ABs to ensure their conformance to the requirements established by this organization.
- Coordinates with the LAS Executive Committee to:
- Include new standards into the NELAP program.
- Include interpretations and clarification of the NELAP standards.
- Adopt relevant acceptance limits for proficiency testing developed by the PT Executive Committee.
- Adopt policies and procedures for use within the program.
- Respond to complaints about the program.
- Ensures a national program though mutual recognition
Conference Calls: 1st and 3rd Monday, 1:30 pm ET
Note: On June 9, 2010, this committee was renamed the NELAP Accreditation Council to reflect a change in the TNI bylaws. Documents such as meeting minutes may show the previous name of this committee, the NELAP Board.
- Implement a national program for the uniform and consistent accreditation of environmental laboratories.
- Review and approve applications from prospective accreditation bodies to become NELAP-recognized Accreditation Bodies.
- Periodically review all NELAP-recognized ABs to ensure their conformance to the requirements for ABs established by this organization.
- Provide a recommendation to the TNI Board of Directors for a contractor to serve as an accreditor of PT Providers.
- Adopt acceptance limits for proficiency testing developed by the PT Executive Committee.
- Review recommendations from the Laboratory Accreditation System Executive Committee (LASC) to include new standards into the NELAP program and either approve for adoption or remand to the LASC with identification of specific issues that would preclude implementation of the standard as a result of incompatibility with existing statute or regulatory requirements that could not appropriately be changed before an AB implemented the standard.
- Adopt policies and procedures for the Laboratory Accreditation System that are developed by the LASC.
- Receive complaints and direct to proper body for action.
- Ensure consistency of application of the standard by NELAP ABs.
Renewal of AB recognitions
Posting NELAP Accreditation Council and AAC policy decisions
SOP for handling complaints against an Accreditation Body
Standard Operating Procedures
Accreditation Body Application and Checklists
Application Completeness Checklist (Word)
TNI Accreditation Body Application (Word)
Checklist to Determine Accrediting Body Compliance ("Technical Checklist")
for 2009 TNI Standards (Word)
TNI Matrix/Technology Table ( for AB Application, item #13) (Excel)
Example Checklists Used by NELAP Evaluators (all in Word format)
Attachment 6 NELAP TOOLS Index
Attachment 6 (A): On-Site Agenda
Attachment 6 (B): Internal Assessments Review
Attachment 6 (C): Internal Assessments Review ds
Attachment 6 (D): Laboratory File Review Checklist
Attachment 6 (E): Remaining questions / issues from the Tech Review
Attachment 6 (F): Interview Questions for Assessors
Attachment 6 (G): Opening/Closing Roster
Attachment 6 (H): General Records Managemente & Training
Accreditation Body Fields of Accreditation (FOA)
The Fields of Accreditation for which each AB is recognized are detailed on these spreadsheets. ABís are granted recognition by Matrix/Technology combinations.
Click on the state to download a Microsoft Excel Spreadsheet