Field Activities Committee
This committee develops standards for the accreditation of field sampling and measurement organizations (FSMO).
Conference Calls: To Be Determined
The mission of the TNI Field Activities Committee (FAC) is to develop standards for accrediting bodies and field sampling and measurement organizations. The FAC will engage experts to develop consensus-based standards with the goal of improving the consistency of field methods and the quality of environmental data.
The committee supports the efforts of the National Environmental Field Activities Program (NEFAP) Executive Committee in the implementation of standards by providing technical assistance in developing guidance materials to facilitate adoption and use of these standards on a national and international level. The FAC will establish and maintain an environment for standards development that ensures continual improvement of standards that are aligned with the practical constraints of sampling and field measurement as well as regulatory and industry specific requirements.
Strategic Goals and Objectives:
- Improve the quality and consistency of environmental data by establishing consensus-based standards for activities related to environmental sampling and field measurements.
- Engage experts to develop standards that are practical, appropriate and implementable for organizations of varying size and structure.
- Develop consensus-based standards that are consistent with other national and international standards, avoiding unnecessary duplication and non-value added requirements.
- Establish and evaluate the FAC’s success measures to target opportunities for improvement.
- Provide technical assistance in developing the tools (e.g., guidance documents, templates, training materials, etc.) necessary for consistent implementation of the Standard.
- Revise and improve the Standard using the consensus development process.
- Provide technical assistance such as responding to Standard Interpretation Requests (SIRs)
- Utilize existing and future TNI infrastructure and resources to accomplish mission.
- Maintain a diverse group of experts that actively support the FAC.
- Show year over year continued increase in associate committee members.
- Increase stakeholder acceptance of the NEFAP standards including voluntary adoption by accrediting bodies (3rd Party or government agencies), and having standards written into regulation where applicable.
- Prompt responses to SIRs (responses within 60 days).
Key Milestones for 2015:
- Submit the Standard for ANSI approval.
- Assist in development of tools for implementation of the Standard.
- Assist NEFAP EC in development of scope of accreditation guidance document.
- Volunteer member organization with significant time constraints.
- Ability to identify and engage the industry experts.
- Ability to develop consensus-based standards .
- TNI field accreditation standards based on ISO Standards which are copyrighted and language is sacrosanct.
- Standards must establish a consistent baseline for acceptable field data quality, while providing maximum flexibility to FSMOs to conduct their work.
- Substantial learning curve for FSMO’s which have not previously been subjected to rigorous quality requirements and/or accreditation.
- Government agencies may have their own standards for field data quality.
- Willingness and authority of government agencies to require FSMO accreditation.
- Stakeholder “buy-in” and acceptance of the Standard within the industry.
- Industry “politics” and prior investments in assuring field data quality.
- Volunteer FAC committee members.
- Participating stakeholders and their organizations.
- Existing national and international consensus-based standards.
- FSMO Experts.
- EPA Cooperative Agreement.
- TNI Website.
- TNI support resources (administrative, technical editing, etc.).
- National Environmental Field Activities Program Executive Committee (NEFAP EC).
- Other TNI Committees (Expert and Support).
- Teleconference and web-based teleconferencing services.
- Outreach assistance from Advocacy Committee.
- Effective and accessible TNI member database.
Additional Resources Required:
Anticipated Meeting Schedule:
- Monthly Committee Teleconferences (open to all Full and Associate Members)
- Additional committee teleconferences as needed
- Committee meetings (face-to-face) during semiannual TNI Forums (Winter and Summer)
|Kevin Holbrooks, Chair|
|Larry Duty, Vice Chair|
|Ilona Taunton, Program Administrator|
The NELAC Institute
Mill Spring, NC
Perry Johnson Laboratory Accreditation, Inc.
Catalyst Air Management, Inc.
Environmental Testing, Inc.
Oklahoma City, OK
New York City DEP
Eurofins Eaton Analytical
Lab Test/Valley Labs
|Harry O’ Neill|
Beacon Environmental Services, Inc.
Bel Air, MD
Virginia Beach, VA
Shepherd Technical Services
Help Establish NEFAP Training Program
FSMO Tools and Quality Manual Template
Help define mobile laboratory process
Guidelines for Scope of Accreditation
Different types of FSMOs to assist on Tools and Quality Manual Template
New committee members to replace those rotating off