Technical Writing for Environmental Method SOPs
September 20, 2021:
12:00 - 3:00 pm EDT
September 27, 2021:
12:00 - 3:00 pm EDT
While both administrative SOPs and technical method SOPs are critical to a good quality management system, this course focuses on the skills required to write a clear, concise, and comprehensive method SOP. This two-session webinar explores the development, use, and maintenance of method and testing SOPs to ensure that they are written clearly and are sufficiently detailed for management to oversee operations and train staff, analysts, and technicians to understand and follow all the necessary steps to perform a simple or complicated test procedure.
This 6–hour training series is divided into two 3-hour sessions and provides practical, comprehensive, and invaluable guidance on understanding the principles of writing effective and compliant method SOPs using lecture, discussion, and homework exercises. The main focus will be on the procedural section of the SOP and ensuring that the section is detailed, clear, and includes all the information required.
Examples of reference method language will be presented, and methods to translate those requirements into laboratory procedures will be discussed. Homework exercises will be conducted in which students are given a written SOP and tasked to find any issues with the SOP as written and provide suggestions for how to address those issues.
Expected Learning Outcomes:
- Master the 2016 TNI Standard requirements for technical and test method SOPs
- Understand how to incorporate method specific requirements and modifications
- Learn the purposes and benefits of effective and compliant SOPs
- Learn how much detail should be included
- Understand the different groups are SOPs written for
- Know who should write the SOPs
- Understand document control for procedures (i.e., the SOP on SOPs)
- Know how to develop and maintain SOPs
- Understand practical management of SOPs so that it does not overwhelm resources
- Understand what needs to be included to be compliant and useful
- Understand how to use templates
- Learn how to ensure that SOPs reflect the actual current practice
- Know how to use graphical tools like flow charts, decision trees, graphics, and photos.
- Learn tips and best practices for writing SOPs
- Know the most common deficiencies and issues regarding SOPs and how to prevent and/or resolve them
This course is designed for Laboratory management (Laboratory Director/Technical Manager/Quality Assurance Manager), laboratory auditors and assessors, supervisors, and key laboratory staff.
$110 per person for TNI members
$125 per person for TNI non-members
$525 per group of 5-10 students at same location for TNI members
$600 per group of 5-10 students at same location for TNI non-members
No certificates are automatically provided with this training. A Certificate of Completion (CoC) or Certificate of Attendance (CoA) may be purchased for $30 per person during registration or webcast purchase. A passing score of at least 70% must be received on the exam in order to receive CEUs and a CoC. Scores of less than 70% will receive a Certificate of Attendance. To receive your certificate, contact Suzanne Rachmaninoff at firstname.lastname@example.org with date of purchase and date of training completion. See FAQs for additional information.
Tuesday 20th July 2021, 12:00pm EDT
About the Presenter:
Jack Farrell has more than 40 years of experience in the environmental industry as an analyst, QA professional, technical and general manager of small, medium and large commercial laboratories. He is an experienced environmental manager, laboratory chemist, trainer, and auditor. Mr. Farrell holds degrees in Biological Sciences (Microbiology) and Chemistry and is a professional trainer, consultant and third party assessor for a number of state and federal regulators.
Jack Farrell is a Senior Environmental Analyst, President and Founder of Analytical Excellence, Inc. (AEX). Since its inception in 1993, AEX has been an independent strictly confidential consulting firm specializing in environmental laboratory operations, analysis and matters concerning the generation of analytical data to support effective compliance decision-making and aspects of litigation. AEX's clientele consist of well-known small and large laboratory companies, instrument manufacturers, engineering firms, state and federal regulatory agencies and legal practice firms.